Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thunderstorm




When I was a little girl, I lived in Michigan for a while. The thunderstorms there feel like they are happening approximatley 6.24 feet above your roof. I have never liked thunderstorms....they still scare me. They send me to my room and I pull the covers over my head and sing "Mary had a little lamb" to myself to help drown it all out.
One night in particular, my grandma came to visit us. She was sleeping on a pull out couch in the basement ( I am sure it was nothing personal). I was about 3 and grandma would take her teeth out at night which was cool but creepy at the same time.
On that night we had a huge thunderstorm. I was afraid to wake my parents because I thought for sure they would send me back to my room. So I ran to find comfort in my grandma's bed in the basement.

AHHHHHHHHHHHH. There she was...warm....and she always smelled so good....she smelled like expensive lotions and listerine. She threw the covers back so I could get in with her and we curled up together and I slept. I don't know if grandma slept or spent all night praying....she was amazing that way. She was the picture of God for me that night.

Right now waiting for the results of this scan is my thunderstorm....it feels big and loud and right above my head.....I want to run for comfort.......... So I go to that night....I think that night happened on purpose......I think it happened so that when I was 45 I could remember and instead of grandma being there....He's there...and I am warm and safe and the thunderstorm is not so scary anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment