Thursday, October 7, 2010

The shin bone's connected to the ......



So yesterday I learned something new. I learned that your shin bone is also called your TIBIA. I knew I had a tibia but I wasn't sure where exactly it was located. Now I am sure and I am taking my tibia bone every day to radiation treatment.

But wait... there's more I also learned that my tibia will be at it's weakest point after the radiation is done. Huh? So I asked my Dr. that same question..."huh?"

You see, the cancer does not grow on the outside of the bone like a barnacle. It grows in the porous section of the bone....the little teeny tiny holes in your bones. As it expands and grows the bones begin to break....it ain't pretty.

So to prevent your bone from breaking...which would seriously hurt and which outcome I am doing my best to avoid, the cancer must die by radiation. All of a sudden I feel like Jack Bauer with a big gun that shoots radiation!

But wait there's more...You would think that killing the cancer cells in your tibia is a good thing...and you would be right....buuuuttttt..it is at that time that the tibia is most likely to break. Huh?
So I asked my Dr. that same question..."huh?"

When the cancer dies, the area where the cancer cells were becomes hollow until the bone can regenerate new bone. It works the same as if you had actually broken the bone. The process of regeneration takes about 6-8 weeks. And the word on the street is that the bone becomes stronger by virtue of the breaking.
Now that, in my opinion, is a metaphor for life.

No comments:

Post a Comment