Thursday, February 25, 2010

IV butterflies and transfusions



This needle is called a butterfly.....it looks like a butterfly....but often times I wonder about whether or not the medical profession gives icky things happy names so you won't think about how icky they really are.
Right now I am sitting in the IV chair having treatment. I started the appointment with lab work and they used a butterfly.. then I spoke with the Dr.and then I got a shot in my tummy and then they started the IV....well let me clarify...they tried to start the IV. Butterfly #1 went in and my veins revolted...butterfly #2 went in and my veins dried up...butterfly #3went in and all the blood went to my other arm. Butterfly #4 went in and then out the other side of my vein..oops. Finally butterfly #5 found success...yipee...I am taking out my sharpie and marking that spot for tomorrow's blood transfusion. What?

No comments:

Post a Comment