Saturday, July 31, 2010

Assumptions



It is very easy, I think,to make our own assumptions about people before we have had even one conversation with them. We, and when I say we I actually mean me, but I feel less guilty if I say we...We often base our opinion on what we see or something we have heard.

I watched Pride and Predjudice last night for the 3,237,342 time, and Elizabeth Bennett, who by the way would have been my best friend ever if I had been alive then, and I would have asked God to be alive then except they didn't have modern plumbing....so back to Elizabeth. I am sure her first assumption of Darcy was that he would be a normal sort of man. But after watching his behavior in public for the first time, her opinion changed. Then reinforced after hearing Wickham's outright lies.
But as we all know, after actually talking with him, face to face, she discovered who he really was and how wrong she was.

I had this experience-ish twice lately. I met someone the other day. At first glance I made several assumptions, all of which were not true I discovered after talking with him for a while. The second experience was with someone I had already met but hadn't really ever talked to. As it turned out, I realized she is a super teriffic gal and funny too.

So I have no idea why I even bring this up, but there you have it. I guess the moral of the story is...be thankful for modern plumbing...I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment