Monday, September 6, 2010

Rain



I am looking outside and it is raining. I don't want it to rain today. Today and tomorrow are the only days left of summer and then school starts. I want these last two days to be warm and sunny and bright for my kids. This was my daughter's last real "kid" summer. It wasn't actually the summer we wanted, all things considered, but it was a summer of growth and healing.

I miss the summers of sprinklers and the excited squeals when the popsicle man was making his rounds...the kids exploring the pond for frogs and salamanders....dirty toes from running barefoot all day and seeing the expression on the kids faces when they finally came in as the sun was setting and they were full of that "good tired" feeling.

I am now watching the rain as it drips off the leaves of the tree just outside my window. It looks like the leaves are crying. I feel like crying too. Crying for what the kids are experiencing as they deal with a mom with cancer and a dad who has walked out.
But from deep down, the thought rises that rain is good. Rain brings growth and health..rain allows us to appreciate more the sunny days that we do have. It revives areas that need growth, that have dried up from lack of attention.

I am now going to be thankful for "the rainy days".

No comments:

Post a Comment