Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Our Storybook




This summer has been a tough one. For each one of the kids and me there is an individual story of experiences and feelings.
In my version I am Laurie but I am also MOM..Dean of Disorder, Director of Discord, Superintendent of Pandemonium with a Masters in Zookeeping.( Sistah Moms say AMEN!)

At the moment of conception,when that first cell splits, so does your life.
So in the midst of dealing with my own circumstances, I also deal with my children's circumstances in high school drama, cancer, dad leaving and huge changes.

My son, for the most part, is quiet...his story is deep,confusing and compelling.
My daughter lives her story out loud...her story is anxious,fearful,and full of changes.
In the overall story, my son is the Turtle and my daughter is the Rabbit...I am supposed to be the Wise old Owl I guess, and let me just add, in case you hadn't heard, "old" is the new 30.

I wish I could say that it was all working well despite our current circumstances.
That the Turtle and Rabbit walk together in harmony through the Fretful Forest and find the Owl resting on her branch, next to the knotholl she had just redone by refreshing her bedding and tossing out a few of the older branch furniture.
Upon arrival they would ask the Owl for advice and the Owl would respond with.."Whooooo are you? Ha ha ha ha...not really. She would respond with advice containing the knowledge she had received while earning her Masters in Mommyism.
And when that didn't work...The owl flew off her branch and found a quiet place in the forest to cry and pray her owl brains out. Then she had her talons polished with bright red sparkly polish while she was out because that made more sense then going back home and then out again just for that.

When she arrived back at the branch, she told the Turtle and the Rabbit that although life was difficult now, it won't always be that way...life is about change and that regardless of where we are, we are there for our benefit..that God was slathering on the waxy goo in order to polish us...oh wait, that's the old woman in the shoe.....still you get the picture.

Then the owl kissed the turtle and the rabbit and told them to be in bed by 11.
The end....well, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment