Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cancer challenge # 1,362



This is my new cancer medicine. It looks like a pill but it's really chemotherapy. I take 4 of these in the morning and 4 at night.
In your body it changes into something called 5-FU (which is ironic don't you think?)
Anywhoooo.....it then changes something about something in the cancer cells making them do something they shouldn't do causing them to die.....It effects healthy cells as well but because there is something in the cancer cells that is not in the healthy cells, the something in the medicine doesn't really target them so much and they don't die as often. This information is straight from the pamphlet.

HOWEVER, there are side effects. I am experiencing one of those side effects right now and it is called Hand and Foot syndrome. I believe that the same person who thought of the last syndrome I dealt with (numb chin syndrome...I swear...look it up!)
also came up with Hand and Foot. Wow I want that job!!!

Hand and Foot effects your hand and feet. This too is straight from the information pamphlet. Sometimes it actually effects your hands and feet, sometimes just your feet...blah blah blah. Anyway, it hurts. It feels as if someone is holding a blow torch to the soles of your feet. This is both painful and inconvenient. So far I am unable to find anything that will help other than standing on a bag of frozen peas. Sadly peas don't stay frozen forever.
Anyone have any suggestions other than going ice fishing and dangling my feet through the hole in the ice?

No comments:

Post a Comment