Friday, April 23, 2010

Doctor Doppler



I went to the Dr. yesterday. It was my regular monthly appointment. When I arrive I walk right to the front desk and print my name on a clipboard and check the box that says I am not presently in a nursing facility. Then I take a seat in the waiting area. Yesterday the waiting area was packed. It made me wonder if they knew something I didn't....like we were going to have some giant weather related crisis..or road construction was going to close all roads going to the hospital..or someone famous was coming to town so they all wanted to get their appointments out of the way so they would be free to see Mr. or Mrs. or even Miss Famous.
After a few minutes Dan calls my name and I hustle back to have my blood taken. Dan is awesome and somehow finds a gusher every time.
Afterward it's back to the waiting area. Then Patty calls my name...I take off my shoes and weigh myself...she always laughs that I take off my shoes...C'mon ladies...don't we all take off our shoes before we weigh?
Then it's back to the exam room. The door is usually open and I can watch my Dr. juggling patients and scans and hospital calls and x-rays always with a smile and a smidgen of sarcasm...I LOVE my Dr. I don't LOVE LOVE my Dr. I just Love my Dr. Every time he walks in the room he grabs my hand and asks me how I am...not clinically but because he really cares.
Next we review medicine and symptoms and side effects and upcoming scans and previous scans etc. Yesterday we discussed the side effects of the chemo pills I am taking and he warned me that my fingernails can fall off. WHAT? The whole nail? Yes, the whole nail. This sounded so painful and inconvenient. How am I supposed to pick up all the pennies I find on the ground, that when added up may someday help me pay for a quarter tank of gas to get me to these regular monthly appointments? Or how do I scratch something when it itches? He didn't have any answers for me but he did tell me that my red blood cell count was 34 (my mom says 35 but I swear I heard him say 34) and my "hemopoptillyosisssssisisss" number was 19, which is just under halfway to normal but better than last month.
We also discussed my big fat ankle that is tiny and dainty and feminine when I wake in the morning, but by exactly 9a.m. it's big and manly and swollen and I am limited to just my "practical" shoes... : ( So my Dr., whom I LOVE, sent me off for a Doppler test to see if there might be a blood clot in my leg...talk about inconvenient.
So Mom and I weave our way through the sea of patients and caregivers, find my assigned recliner and for the next hour or so I eat a bran muffin and have my IV infusion of good important medicine.

Wow, this is a long post...are you getting bored? Sorry..you can hop on facebook if you need to or check your email...I won't be offended...

After the infusion we head to the Doppler office and for the next hour a technician did an ultrasound of all the big veins in my legs and abdomen, talking into a microphone, saying things like...distal and flow and compressable and pulsatory (I may have made up the last one) Anyway, no clots but I do have "venous insufficientitis" in my left leg...

Finally I was on the freeway headed home, illegally talking on my phone while I drove and as expected, forgetting to pick up grain.

I better go, it's 8:00 and if I hurry I can wear my cute shoes while I go and buy some grain

No comments:

Post a Comment