Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It's plug your ears time


Often, when I know I am about to hear some scary news, I plug my ears and sing Mary had a little lamb. Well, I heard something the other day and it scared me.
Women are now being advised to wait until they are 50 to have a mammogram. Not only is this scary.....it's ridiculous.

I was first diagnosed with cancer when I was 36....that is a long way from 50. My second cancer diagnosis was at 44.

We lost a very sweet friend to cancer this summer...she too was in her 40's. I say plug your ears and sing the next time you are told to wait on your mammogram.

A few other things to remember.....Jaclyn Smith, Jill Eikenberry, Shirley Temple, Christina Applegate, Sheryl Crow, Kylie Minogue and Robin Roberts all found their cancers through self exam.

Here are some of the women we lost to Breast Cancer long before age 50.....Heather Farr (LPGA) 28 years old, Judy Holiday (actress) 43 years old, Puma Jones (singer) 36 years old, Margaret Kilgallen (singer) 33 years old....SUSAN G. KOMEN 36 years old.

So here is my never to be humble opinion....plug your ears, then grab a bosom buddy and get checked every year starting now.

No comments:

Post a Comment