Tuesday, March 23, 2010

You can't take the mom out of cancer...



I was talking with a friend last night. I mentioned that I have been able to go up the stairs lately. This is a big deal for me. I haven't been able to do stairs...as in more than 2 or 3...in a very very long time.

I decided that with my new found ability I would venture up my stairs and see what the kids rooms looked like. OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
My kids are old enough now to manage their own rooms....I know that! But for the love of Peter this was awful and my mom-isms burst forth...."Where do you think you live? A barn?" "What, were you raised by wolves?"

I was reminded by my friend that it's time to pick my battles more carefully and their rooms should not be on that list. She's right. If they want to live like pigs in a stye then...well...then I guess they can...ohhh that is painful.

Then the thought came to me that my daughter will hopefully, at some point, be applying for a job this summer....oh dear God let it be so...
Here again, pick my battles. So the two battles I am picking for today is cancer and staying awake to watch 24 on DVR and Idol. That's tough enough I think.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am an old friend of your fathers from a long time ago
    and we have recently reconnected -- a very good thing -
    and that brought me to your blog here. This journey is different
    for all of us, but I am a cancer survivor and can relate to so much of what you are writing. It is beautifully expressed. The honesty comes
    right through. No fooling around.

    I was so aware that everyone in the family got my diagnosis and I learned that when everyone in my family focused on making me better, good things happen. Best to you, Bill Hoke

    ReplyDelete