Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Holy protein Batman!


I have been spending a lot more time with super mom lately. She rides along to most of my appointments with me, carrying my bag that has my little laptop in it and saving me a seat in the waiting room while I have my lab work done, watching over my purse and coat so I don't have to haul them with me, and driving the car from the parking space to the hospital entrance so I don't have to walk too far. Then she drives us to lunch somewhere or to the store if I need something, or to Dairy Queen if I need "something", or back to her house, or sometimes she drives just so I can make all my phone calls to everyone who wants an update.

Another thing super mom does is encourage me to eat protein all the time...she tells me that it is what our bodies need in order to heal. I, on the other hand, think lemon/ginger scones are more healing, but that is only because I love both lemon and ginger....and frosting.

But super mom is actually right this time. I know because I checked on the Internet...which never lies by the way. Here is what it said:

Protein: A large molecule composed of one or more chains of amino acids in a specific order determined by the base sequence of nucleotides in the DNA coding for the protein.
Proteins are required for the structure, function, and regulation of the body's cells, tissues, and organs. Each protein has unique functions. Proteins are essential components of muscles, skin, bones and the body as a whole.
Examples of proteins include whole classes of important molecules, among them enzymes, hormones, and antibodies.
Protein is one of the three types of nutrients used as energy sources by the body, the other two being carbohydrate and fat.

Now I realize that I can no more heal myself by eating protein then my kids can avoid having an argument for 5 solid minutes....but I digress...
What I do know though, is that I need to do my part...but here is the amazing spooky part of this story....the most important protein for healing is known as Laminin. I know this because it was on the Internet and the Internet, as I mentioned before, does not lie. Here is what it said:

Basically, laminin is a protein found in the “extracellular matrix”, the sheets of protein that form the substrate of all internal organs also called the “basement membrane…. Laminin is vital to making sure overall body structures hold together. Improper production of laminin can cause muscles to form improperly...In layman's terms, a laminin is like a foundation of a building, a chassis of a car.
In short, laminin is like the glue that holds us together.

It's Laminin that is the basis of our bodies being able to heal...and here is what Laminin looks like isolated under the microscope:







That's what I'm talkin' 'bout!!!!!!! Coincidence....I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment