Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Waiting



Waiting never seems to get any easier...there is the short traumatic wait, like finding out that the line to the restroom is longer than you expected.....or waiting for the plus or minus sign on your EPT....or whether or not she says "yes".

Then there are the longer waits....gestation....retirement...summer vacation....

Then in a class all their own are the medical waits...there are a lot of those....waiting for the apt...waiting for the Dr..waiting for the test results...pathology report...treatment plan...remission....

You can't change the waiting part...so what to do while you wait?....I am doing a paint by number and alternately reading 4 books...I tried to throw in a cross stitch and some decoupage but I found that was too much.
I think what I would like to learn is how to be quiet....not to shut-up mind you but to be able to be quiet head to toe....so far I have only reached that state through the sleep process...the girls in my head are often too loud during waking hours....they are always buzzing about hospital bills and filling bird feeders, what's for dinner and will I have to have chemo next month...

I will try and talk to them today and see if they can pipe down long enough for me to be quite for 1 minute...that's my goal today...it's good to have goals.....

2 comments:

  1. Hey there Laurajane,
    Not sure what kind of books you like but I just finished a brilliant easy read. The book Thief by Markus Zusak tells the story of a girl growing up war time Germany. Its sad, no doubt about that, but great writing and pretty compulsive. Another I really loved is about an old lady in a psychiatric hospital in Ireland. That sounds a little off putting, but the style of writing is lyrical and gentle, the words wrap round you like waves on the shore and caress you. Yeah, that sounds daft, but its true. It's called The Secret Scripture, by Sebastian Barry, an Irish writer. Its nothing to do with hospitals really, but is the story of the old womans life - and boy does she have a story to tell!
    Impressed as always Laurajane by your spirit,hope today is a good one, MM

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much of my life has been waiting, from one day to the other, from event to event...from dream to fulfillment... and still I don't get used to it!

    ReplyDelete