Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Eve




It was the night before Christmas and inside my house,
my kids high on sugar and not a word from my spouse.
Our stockings were still in the attic upstairs
everyone was too tired to get them down from up there.

Only half of the presents were wrapped thanks to me
I think the rest will be wrapped but we'll have to see.

In our "jammas" the parents took our pills plus 3 more,
one for sleeping, one for acid, one so that Chad wouldn't snore.

Despite all the pills I woke to a "beep". I became a bit angry as I really need sleep.
My daughter was up at 15 past 4:00,
making the dinner she should have had the night before.

Now awake with adrenaline I couldn't sleep, I began counting hay bales instead of the sheep.

I worried about cancer and then driver's ed. I wondered when I last washed the sheets on my bed.
I wondered and worried why it's taken so long, to cure cancer and everything else that is wrong.
And then I remembered that it was Christmas Eve,
and God was much bigger than this stupid disease.

So I rolled my self over which is no simple task, and I moved to the left and then I asked,

"I don't know what you are thinking, I don't know what's ahead," I paused to listen and then I said,
"Can I whisper to you what I want instead?" I closed my eyes softly and then turned my head...

"I want a gift that no other can possibly give...I want the cancer to go... I want to live."

1 comment: